• Welcome to Learn To Play Saxophone with the help of computers. Please login or sign up.

Busking and the sale of music

Started by Glenys, April 01, 2012, 12:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenys

I have a question someone posted by a musician
who really enjoys playing popular music for the enjoyment of the general public he has made a compilation of his favourite songs.

What is the best way of overcoming all the legal aspects to avoid street trading laws.

Have you ever been fined for Busking or selling your own music?

Tony Edge

I wonder if you could display a snapshot of  your website with a picture of your cd.
When you are playing keep a stack of business cards about yourself
Put a shopping cart on your website buyers could pay by PayPal or use Ebay.
Or use a click service where users can download an mp3 tune for a small fee similar to Itunes.

littleplum

Hi Glenys

This area can be a bit of a Nightmare.

If he is playing popular music then I assume its been composed by someone else.  If so you need a licence that means the composers get paid.

If he is using backing tracks then you need to ask the makers of the backing tracks if you can use them and they may well want paying.  www.pocketsong.com want $150 per track to use theirs on recordings.

Then, you need to contact the council where you are busking and check on the need for a street trading licence.  For example when I approached Leicester council, I explained that I would be selling maybe 4 or 5 cd's a month (I only busk twice a month) they wanted ?2174 per annum.  The cost is the same for a burger van working 24 hours a day 7 days a week as it is a busker!
However, they did say that if I played inside, then I didn't need a licence.

I asked about given away the cd and asking for a donation and was told that was still street trading.

The answer that we came up with was to give the cd away and just have a message on the case that says, 'the cd is free but if you enjoyed then please make a donation to my paypal account.

I hope not all councils are the same as mine because they are just going to kill musical enterprise.

Good luck to your friend and let us know how he gets on

Dave

Glenys

Hi Dave have you ever been to Dublin

We went a few years ago and what a wonderful time we had we stayed at Trinity College, The students rooms are let out to the general public during the summer holidays.

If you visit Dublin?s Grafton or Henry Street The street entertainment is fabulous. With Buskers entertainers guiters, singers, crooners, statues looking blokes that jump when near.    (google ?busking Dublin?)

Contrary to the general perception that permission is needed to perform on Dublin?s streets, One guy I talked to claims that there is no busking license.
The Garda? will push you on if they think you?re being a nuisance and security guards will move you on if your crowds are blocking shop doors.

Music makes a city vibrant and brings tourist from all over the world the councils should encourage entertainers in designated areas as in Dublin.

One of our favourite days out are Buxton in Derbyshire during the summer months quite often their are a few musicians busking of all abilities including students with very little money some are quite brilliant.
The public do enjoy a strolling round the shops and the Pavilion Gardens.  Music makes the day special.
I think the council should give a grant and pay for entertainers/buskers  and wave the street trading license for selling of musicians own cd?s.

littleplum

Hi Glenys

I have been to Dublin, but it was for a work related jolly, so we didn't get much time to look around. My wife and I would like to visit for a few days at some point, but not sure when.

I have had some lovely comments from people saying it brightens their day to hear the music being played and I personally like to hear it too when visiting places.

I read an article somewhere about somewhere in the states (Washington I think)  that a local newspaper had got one of the worlds top violinists, playing on a $3,000,000 stradivarius to go busking in the tube, and the only people who stopped to listen to the most beautiful music where children, but their parents kept dragging them off because they were 'busy'  Such a shame!

I played in Northampton on Monday, the weather was great, I even got a little bit of a tan!  The people where very nice and I had a decent days earnings too.  I will definitely go back again.

I think too that buskers should be allowed to sell their cd's without the need for a licence other wise it's very difficult for them to make a living.

I am planning on a days busking on Thursday (weather permitting) but not sure where yet.  No time before then as I have got the Leicester workshop to prepare for and some more advertising for the Manchester event to get out.

I will let you know how I get on

regards

Dave