• Welcome to Learn To Play Saxophone with the help of computers. Please login or sign up.

Good mouthpiece

Started by papa8, June 21, 2014, 10:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papa8

Hello
My first post. I used to play a little sax but that was 40 years ago and even then I was limited. Now that  I am retiring i am buying a used P Mauriat but I have no idea what mouthpiece to choose. I fancy melody and good tone with a sound that's not too bright. I know that everyone advises trying out a few in the music store but there is no where in N Ireland stocking a good range so I shall shop on line. Budget up to ?150. Any suggestions please?

Tony Edge

June 25, 2014, 09:20:01 PM #1 Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:54:39 PM by Tony Edge
Congratulations on taking up the tenor saxophone after 40 years.
I only played saxophone for the first time after I retired from work.
In my younger days life was to busy with no spare time.
Now I have the time it?s a wonderful hobby and love to play for a couple of hours a day.  The only problem is the sax is quite loud and do have to consider neighbours and my long suffering wife.

The Muriati saxophones have a very good reputation some have rolled tone holes.
I?m sure will have a very fine tone and instrument.

Sorry I am not qualified to advise on the best mouthpiece.
I bought a Yamaha 6C mouthpiece and very pleased with the quality and ease of playing (The cost on EBay less than ?40). I like Vandoren reeds V16 2.5. V Cut. With 6C mouthpiece.

My saxophone teacher told me not to buy a metal mouthpiece but buy a hard rubber one.  But her music is classical.   A lot depends on the sounds you want to achieve.
YouTube have lots of demos.

Good luck let us know how you go on.   Love to hear how you progress and if you don?t mind put an mp3 online.
Thanks again for your post.
Tony.