• Welcome to Learn To Play Saxophone with the help of computers. Please login or sign up.

I left my saxophone at home

Started by Tony Edge, May 07, 2011, 12:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Edge

May 07, 2011, 12:13:31 AM Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:12:47 PM by Tony Edge
A week without Saxophone

My four grandchildren wanted to visit their other grandad in Devon. My daughter was a little concerned about driving the long Journey to Dartford.
I volunteered to drive her car a Doblo MPV.
All 7 of us packed into the car for the 250 mile journey to our rented cottage in Brixham
No room for the saxophone but plenty of spare time.
The journey went very smoothly the children aged from 2 to 13 were brilliant and so well behaved.
I missed the sax.  A quick search on the internet found a good saxophone teacher in Brixham
www.gig224.com

A simple phone call and an hour?s lesson was arranged with free loan of a Jupiter Alto Sax.
What an enjoyable lesson and I improved so much with Steve Wiltshire.
Steve kindly offered another lesson on the Saturday Morning.
This time with an mp3 player and a small compact digital camera, mobile phone ready to take notes.
I set both the cheap mp3 player and my mobile phone to record voice for the 1 hour session.
Steve even allowed me to record some video?s for Youtube.
Romeo & Juliet on Sax played by Steve Wiltshire GIG224
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-VyQ3dcBNI

Many thanks Steve
Hope to see some more video?s soon.

littleplum

Hi Tony

Now thats dedication for you,  picking the phone up whilst on hols and booking a lesson, come and have a word with some of my students will you please lol.

We holiday in the Uk and as there are only 2 of us I normally manage to pack my tenor.  Last year I took my busking kit including amp but never got to use it outside.  Plenty of practice though.  I am hoping to busk this year (got to pay for the isle of whight ferry some how!)

My wife, Carole always makes sure that there is somewhere for me to practice whilst she curls up with a good book.  In the past I have practiced in Fields, laybyes and gateways if I couldn't find anywhere else.  Best acoustics ever.

regards

Dave

Tony Edge

March 14, 2012, 12:41:40 AM #2 Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 11:05:13 PM by Tony Edge
When I first started playing the saxophone I was amazed the difference the characteristics of the room makes. I use a small spare bed room to practice.
My first lesson in a large old building were quite amazing my sax sounded like a different instrument.

I?ve never played saxophone in the open air I would love to try.
Just by listing to birds singing they pick areas of good acoustics.

I watched a recent TV program on Sonny Rollins and quite intrigued by Sonny. He went through a very difficult time in his life and spent weeks playing the saxophone on top of an iron Suspension Bridge he was a good listener he took inspiration from the sounds around him.
In 62 he returned to the music scene with an appropriate song The Bridge.
To read more about Sonny Rollins visit the Biography.

http://sonnyrollins.com/biography/